If you want to get into the wonderful world of dabs and do it right, the dab rig is a piece that will make all your dabbing dreams come true.
Don’t be intimidated by the dab rig; it’s easy to use and not as complicated as it might seem when you’re first starting out.
Follow along, so we can show you what a dab rig looks like and explain how to use it in 3 easy steps.
What pray tell is a dab rig?
To people new to dabbing, the term dab rig sounds like a cumbersome set of equipment. But dabbing is a relatively simple and straightforward process: The dab rig refers to the pipe or apparatus used to smoke oils and concentrates, or dabs. Like pipes, dab rigs are made from different materials, including glass and metal. Dab rigs are essentially bongs for dabbing, made to enjoy concentrates versus dried herbs.
This is what a dab rig looks like:
Here you can see the similarities between the dab rig and your average bong. The difference lies in what material is being smoked and how it’s being smoked.
With a dab rig, the process involves first heating what’s called the nail– a small surface area where you will place your concentrates. After the nail has been heated with a torch, you will ‘dab’ the gooey concentration onto the surface. This will vaporize your herbal concentrates into smooth clouds full of flavor. From there, you will inhale through the mouthpiece, and voila!
How to use a dab rig
What you need:
- Dab rig with nail
- Dabs (your concentrates/oils of choice)
- Carb cap
Dab pad or other area to place your concentrates
- Set up your dab rig and and your concentrates on a dab pad or other clean surface area.
- Light your torch and aim it directly at the nail. Wait until the nail gets hot and glows.
- Turn off your torch and let the nail cool a bit. Different materials cool at different intervals, but as most dab rigs are made with quartz nails, it will take this metal around 30 second to 1 minute.
- Use your dabber to put the concentrate directly on the nail. While doing so, slowly inhale and slowly spin your dabber tip around the nail to make sure all the oil gets vaporized.
- As you see your dabs starting to wane in the vapor that they give out, cover them with your carb cap.
- Exhale and repeat if desired.
Other dab rig accessories
In addition to a dab pad, a torch, and a carb cap whose uses are illustrated in the above explanation, there are other dab rig accessories to keep up with the lifestyle, including:
Experience the benefits of dabbing with a dab rig
If you use a dab rig, you can get in on the benefits of dabbing therapeutic herbal concentrates. Dabbing is less harsh on the lungs and a more potent way to smoke. It’s also more affordable because of the potency it delivers. Just remember that using a dab rig is easy, and as long as you have the right supplies, anyone can do it.