- How to Use a Weed Grinder
- How to Clean a Weed Grinder
- How to Grind Weed without a Grinder
- How to Grind Weed for Different Uses
Let’s face it, grinding weed properly is a given if you want the best smoking experience. It doesn’t matter if you’re rolling your own, using a bong, or vaping, the consistency of the weed can affect the burn and the smoke production. Luckily, there are as many ways to grind weed as there are great strains to smoke, even if you don’t have a grinder. Keep reading to find out the deets.
How to Use a Weed Grinder
There’s no doubt about it, one of the greatest innovations for the cannabis enthusiast is the weed grinder. Grinders are fast and convenient, portable, and easy to use. The steps to using a grinder include:
- Remove the lid from the grinder
- Break up larger buds by hand and place them between the grinding teeth
- Replace the lid and rotate approximately 10 times, depending on the fineness desired
- Unscrew the bottom chamber to remove the ground weed from the basket
- Reserve the powdered kief in the bottom for later
How To Clean a Weed Grinder
After a few uses, weed grinders get sticky with residue. This stickiness can negatively affect grinding to the point of locking up the grinder if you ignore it. The steps to cleaning a grinder include:
- Disassemble all parts of the grinder
- Use a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and coarse salt (or a special cleaner) to clean the sticky parts
- Use a cleaning brush or toothbrush to clear away any residue
- Rinse all the parts and allow them to dry
Tip: If the grinder is extremely sticky, placing it in the freezer first will make removing the resin easier.
How to Grind Weed without a Grinder
How To Grind Weed by Hand
You can break up buds as finely as possible by hand. Granted, a hand grind can be rough with weed that is really sticky.
Tip: Place buds in the freezer first to solidify the resin before breaking them up by hand.
How To Grind Weed with Scissors
With sharp scissors, you can cut up buds until all the bits are as small and uniform as possible. Placing buds into a small shot glass can make the job easier.
Other Random Ways to Grind Weed
- Coffee grinder – This method works really well but can be rough to clean
- Knife and cutting board – This method is tedious, but works
- Cheese grater – This method is also tedious but possible, just press firmly and grate
- Mortar and pestle – Place buds into the bowl and use the pestle to crush
- Prescription bottle and coin – Put buds and a clean dime into a clean empty pill bottle, and shake vigorously
How to Grind Weed for Different Uses
Typically, a fine grind works well for most methods of consumption. For instance, a fine grind works well in both a pipe and a joint. However, some methods of smoking weed call for different grinds.
- Joint or blunt – Grind to a fine consistency (like tobacco in a cigarette) for an even smoke. Super-fine grinds pack too tightly which makes it hard to smoke, while not enough grinding leads to an inconsistent smoke.
- Bong or pipe – Go for a rough grind so fine particles don’t clog up the bowl. Grind to a medium-fine consistency for an even burn.
- Vaporizer – Grind to a fine grind so the chamber can be packed as full and tight as possible for even heating. Loose bits and shreds can make it hard to pack tightly.
Check Out Weed Grinders at Headshop
Small grinders are surprisingly affordable. At Headshop, we carry a full range of 2-part, 3-part, and 4-part grinders, from basic to top-of-the-line features, in our online shop. Take a look at our selection from all the best brands and get ready to grind!