In this guide, we’ll explain all the different types of dabs, and how to make dabs with them.
What Is a Dab?
A dab is an amber-like wax created from cannabis. When a dab is heated, the vapor is inhaled. A dab rig is a special tool used to inhale the vapor. Because the serving is small, it’s called a “dab.” However, every little dab is highly concentrated despite the small serving. Because the vapor is inhaled, it’s the most effective method of consumption.
Types of Dabs
Shatter is a hard, glass-like substance that shatters under pressure. It contains all the active compounds and essential oils of the cannabis plant. Shatter melts when heated and becomes runny, then vaporizes when the temperature is high enough.
Crumble has the consistency of brown sugar. It can be added to bowls and joints for a more intense high, although it’s used mainly for vaping. Because it “crumbles”, it’s harder to handle. But it’s very flavorful and potent.
Budder is a concentrate rich in THC that is used to make edibles (not to be confused with cannabutter!). It can be smoked and vaped; however, because budder is delicate and high temps can destroy some terpenes.
A high-quality wax concentrate is a bright gold with honey-like grains with consistency even waxier than the types of dabs noted above. Waxes are heated like shatter and crumble until vaporized, and then the vapor is then inhaled. Waxes can be vaped with a vape designed for waxes or with an eNail.
Waxes and crumble added to dry cannabis and put into a bong or pipe, or rolled into a joint is called dab weed for a more intense high. However, the effects can be very uncomfortable for those not accustomed to high amounts of THC or CBD.
Cannabis can be processed into oil that contains all the natural plant compounds. Oils come in pre-filled cartridges that connect to a vape pen using a 510 connection. After the vape pen heats the oil, the mouthpiece is used to inhale the vapor.
Live resin is similar to syrup but is sometimes thicker and grainier. Live resin is created by cryogenically freezing cannabis. This process preserves all the active compounds. Solvents are then used to process the plant for the final product.
Rosin looks like translucent honey. Rosin comes from hash or kief, and it can be made using a hair straightener or a flat iron. A small amount of gold-colored oil comes out when heated – this is the rosin.
How to Makes Dabs With Butane
It should be noted that you cannot use any can of butane. Specifically, N-Butane is needed. Because butane is flammable, it’s very dangerous. Do not make dab wax near an open flame. Complete the process noted here outside or in a well-ventilated space, making sure there is nothing nearby that could cause a spark.
Keep in mind, the better the quality of cannabis, the better your wax dab will be.
- 10 oz Can of N-Butane / 1 oz Cannabis
- Extraction Tube
- Filtering Screen
- Medium Pyrex Dish
- Large Pyrex Dish
- Electric Heating Pad
- Scraper Tool
- Concentrate Container
- Fill an extraction tube with cannabis.
- Pack it tight, but not too tight (the butane will not filter through properly if packed too tightly).
- After the cannabis is packed, fasten a filtering screen to the bottom of the tube.
- Release the can of butane into the tube, letting the liquid drip into the medium dish below.
- Place that dish in the large dish filled with hot water, allowing the butane to evaporate.
- After the butane evaporates, the contents of the dish must be purged of the remaining butane using the electric heating pad (or a griddle at a temp below 125 degrees F).
- Heat the dab wax until it’s clear. The butane has been completely purged when the wax is no longer cloudy or hazy.
- Collect the dab wax using the scraper tool and put it in the concentrate container.
How to Make Rosin Dabs
This is called the rosin press method.
- Hair straightener set to 300 degrees F or lower
- Cannabis flower, kief, or bubble hash
- Heat Resistant Gloves
- Dab Tool
- Turn the hair straightener on at the lowest setting (300 degrees F or lower).
- Cut a 4 x 4-inch piece of parchment paper and fold it in half.
- Place the plant material inside and press it closed.
- Using the hair straightener and heat-resistant gloves, press the parchment shut using gentle pressure.
- When the plant material begins to sizzle, this means the resin has separated from the plant material. Unfold the parchment and remove the material.
- Remove the plant material from the wax using the dab tool.
- Put the rosin dabs in the parchment or a silicone container.
How to Make Dabs With Alcohol Extraction
- Cannabis, 2.5 grams
- Oven-Safe Container
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Metal Mesh Screen
- Unbleached Coffee Filters
- Warm water
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Break up the bud and put it in an oven-safe container.
- Put the container in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Put the cannabis and the isopropyl alcohol in the freezer for five hours.
- Pour the alcohol over the cannabis and mix it for 20 seconds.
- Drain the cannabis by filtering it through the metal mesh screen and then setting the cannabis aside.
- Put the alcohol through the filter into a separate container.
- Using a warm water bath, let the alcohol evaporate (a warm water bath is when the container and alcohol are placed in a pan of warm water).
- When the alcohol evaporates, scrape the wax out of the container with a spoon or knife.
How to Make Dabs With Water Extraction
- 5-Gallon Buckets x2
- Bubble Bags
- Ice Cubes, 15 lbs
- Purified Water
- Stir Sticks
- Put the bubble bags and screen in a bucket, the smallest first followed by the largest.
- Add the cannabis.
- Pour half a bag of ice over the cannabis and mix it for 20 minutes, then let it settle for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the first bubble bag halfway and let it drain, then set it aside.
- Repeat the process above with the other bubble bags.
- Remove the material from the bags and screen with a knife or spoon, then put it into the cheesecloth. Continue until all of the material is removed and in the cheesecloth.
- Fold over the cheesecloth and filter the water out of the material by gently pressing it. Continue until all the water is out of the material.